We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: October 30, 2015
Chew on these Smart Snacking Tips for Kids from Pediatric Dentists
All kids like to snack, but your kid’s dentist doesn’t always like what snacks can do to their teeth. Get a taste of the truth about snacking and discover which snacks are better for kids’ smiles.
Most Snacks are More Than a Mouthful of Sugar
As a parent, you want to keep your child’s teeth healthy. While brushing, flossing, and professional dental check-ups are the cornerstones of a healthy smile, pediatric dentists warn that snacks can easily sabotage the best dental care for children. See, many popular snacks today are packed full of sugar. And many parents don’t realize that even healthy-sounding or natural snacks can have as much sugar as candy. And if those sugars aren’t removed with good dental hygiene, they can lead to cases of cavities. This is why your kid’s dentist will tell you that choosing the right snacks is vital for healthy smiles.
Safe Snacks for Sparkling Smiles
Pediatric dentists strive to provide the best dental care for children, but they’re well aware that kids also want great-tasting snacks. Luckily, your child can have their snack and eat it, too, as long as they make healthy choices. Ask your kid’s dentist to recommend some tasty snacks that won’t do damage to teeth. And teach your child that sugary snacks should be seen as occasional treats, not as everyday options. To help your child develop better snacking habits, follow these healthy snack suggestions:
- Choose foods that are naturally low in sugar, such as cheese, pretzels, crackers, and nuts.
- Whenever your child enjoys a sugary treat, have them eat it all at once to limit their exposure to its sugars.
- After snacking on anything, encourage your child to drink a glass of water, chew some sugar-free gum, or brush their teeth to help remove any sugars stuck to their teeth and neutralize any acids.
- Don’t permit snacking after your child brushes teeth at night since the sugar will linger on their teeth all night long.
- Limit your child’s intake of sodas, juices, and other drinks full of sugar and acid.
- When these drinks are occasionally enjoyed, make sure your child drinks them through a straw to reduce their contact with teeth.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Miami, call today at or make an appointment.
is the destination for excellent pediatric dental care for your child in Miami. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At our network of specialists provide a level of care that is geared toward treating patients from age one. This team approach gives our patients more options and the benefit of multispecialty treatments. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable pediatric dentist who truly cares at .